Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Clarity

Sometimes a feeling of the end comes, before the actual end comes. Anyway, you know it is near. That changes things, in some unpredictable ways.  A kind of shroud descends. The world becomes more precious, and each moment is laden with portent.  What crowds into everything is the unknown.

Death is near-by, waiting for the inexplicable time, the corralling moment, when everything known goes bye-bye. Waiting is. Still, the opportunity to fill the end, with all that has meaning, presses. It is a time like no other.

This is what’s happening to me.  I celebrated the New Year with a medicine journey. It turned out that the medicine was about being at the end-stage. Surprisingly, it wasn’t morbid. I was whisked from knowing about death to dying — and the world turned more vivid. Clouds parted. I became more completely me. And a familiar, but somehow freshened clarity, appeared. I am no longer waiting for the inevitable, I am the inevitable.

Dying is a trip. Things are more urgent, while other things, lose their urgency. And urgency isn’t about time, it is about accuracy and completeness. I have so much to give thanks for. Nuances have flags now, and I notice like I never did. Everything shines with a breathtaking clarity. The darkness is even darker, but more intriguing, and more filled with potential.  I love this sense of being blessed to be here, and knowing that I’m passing through. Dissolving into wholeness. There is a tenuousness to things that evokes preciousness.

If I’d have known dying was so good, I would have died sooner.

The end is here. I don’t mean in this moment. I don’t know when, any more than I did before. So, I could still be around years from now. I don’t know. But, I do know that the experience of dying suits me better, than what I’ve done until now. Things are changing. I can feel myself integrating, in unpredictable ways, the end.

Does this mean that while I am alive I’ll live differently? I don’t know. Will I continue doing some of the things I’ve been doing? I don’t know. Everything and nothing could change. Mystery seems to have gotten deeper. The moment seems more pleasantly infused with it. Not-knowing, and being OK with it, thrusts me further into a warm fuzzy unknown. Love somehow permeates it all, bringing with it a strange clarity.

My days are full of “I get to” instead of “I have to” now. There is so much relief that comes with things being over. I don’t have to try anymore. I am free, even from my own unfulfilled longings. I trust that the Universe knows what it is doing. There is nothing so relaxing as letting go.

It won’t be long now. Oddly, I’m more here now that I’m going.  

 

 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment